I was recently inspired by a brilliant article at the hand of Paul Richardson, in the Financial Times, “Pork on the wild side – A gastronomic tour devoted to ibérico ham includes watching a traditional pig-slaughtering fiesta” http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/2/4f171866-4359-11e1-8489-00144feab49a.html
So captivated by this tour of the Extremadura and Andalusia, the Wandering Palate and a gaggle of friends are taking a similar trip in October, my thoughts already preoccupied with ‘Nose to Tail Eating’.
As it happens, the company that runs the Pig Tour, A Taste of Spain, have also put together “The Ultimate Foodie Tour of Spain”, described as an “once-in-a-lifetime culinary tour through Madrid, La Rioja, the Basque Country and Catalonia”. 2012 departures are schedule for May 27 and September 30.
Some of the highlights are:
- Savour the great food which Spain is famous for: from Tapas and Paella to Basque Gastronomic Societies and avant-garde cuisine
- Immerse yourself in the vibrant culinary and cultural scene of Madrid, San Sebastian and Barcelona – with accommodation at 4 centrally located hotels
- Visit the colourful Boqueria food market with our local expert chef and join him in a hands-on Mediterranean cooking class
- Enjoy a second – truly unique – cooking class – this time at the famous members-only Gastronomic Society in San Sebastian
- Taste and learn about extraordinary Rioja wines and Spanish Olive oils through private visits to traditional producers
- Discover the fascinating world of Ibérico and Sherry wines on a special meal themed around these extraordinary products
- Experience the diverse cultures, landscapes and foods of Spain by the hand of our local culinary guide
For a detailed itinerary and more on A Taste of Spain, visit http://www.atasteofspain.com
Created in 1999 by a group of Spanish professionals sharing a passion for the cuisine and culture of their country, A Taste of Spain was the first boutique agency specialized in the organization of innovative and exclusively designed culinary tours and services in Spain.
As native Spaniards with long professional experience in the Spanish gourmet sector and its internationalization, the team combines a deep knowledge of the Spanish culinary scene, a wide network of contacts reaching every corner of the country and an excellent understanding of the needs and preferences of international clients.
Based in Catalonia and Andalusia, two of the main focal points of the Spanish culinary scene, A Taste of Spain offer the most comprehensive selection of culinary programs and activities, ranging from an exceptionally ample choice of cooking classes, food and wine seminars, and tastings, to any type of gastronomic tour or event, covering all topics and regions in Spain.
They have built up an impressive reputation with some very excellent endorsements:
“A Taste of Spain, recommended website in the “Eating in Andalusia”, “Saffron Harvest” and “Jamón Ibérico” tour sections, for those seeking expert knowledge in the Spanish culinary scene.” National Geographic – Food Journeys of a Lifetime
“As Miguel Ullibarri, one of the members of A Taste of Spain, a culinary tourism organization based in Cádiz, says, Our great potential lies in the authenticity of our agri-food products and our gastronomic culture.” Monocle, Spain Survey 2010
“…The passport holders to unlocking its secrets are bespoke gastronomic guides A Taste of Spain. Formed by a group of congenial and connected ex-food professionals, they’ve built a reputation for tailor-made tours and expert guidance for the Ibero-phile.” Vogue Entertaining + Travel (Australia), February/March 2010
There’s no question Spain is one of the fascinating destinations in the world with vast regions of countryside to explore, amazing history, rich culture and gastronomy. Moreover, there has probably never been a better time to visit Spain with tourism is fundamental to their economy.