An Inspiring initiative from leading fine wine importers Summergate and Pudao wines showcased 50 of Italy’s most diverse and respected labels from their portfolio for the savvy China market.
Held at the Museum of Contemporary Art, plush in the heart of People’s Park in Shanghai, the road trip wound its way to its final destination, having held the same show in Beijing the previous day and in other cities previous to that.
From South to North, passionate lovers of Italian wine tasted, for example, prized Sicilian winery Tasca D’Almerita’s flagship Rosso Del Conte, their ultra long and complex Nozze d’Oro and the Lamuri, Leone and Regaleali range. Moving up from the heel, passport holders got to pass through:
- Poggio al Tesoro in Bolgheri, and their ‘supertuscan’ Sondraia and Solosole;
- Rather modern expression of Brunello in San Polo Montalcino and Rubio;
- Barone Ricasoli in Toscana, with the Barone Francesco himself pouring, discussing and sharing his family Chianti classicos and riservas;
- Sandrone in Piedmonte; stunning barolo, nebbiolo, dolcetto and barbera;
- Batasioli in Piedmonte; again, beautifully balanced wines from Moscato to Gavi, from Barbera to Barolo, of which they make an amazing 7.
- Livio Felluga in Friuli Venezia Guilia; of course floral, rounded Pinot Grigio, Sharis and Vertigo;
- Corte Giara in Veneto; full range of perhaps earlier drinking styled wines from Valpolicella through to Amarone;
- Allegrini in Veneto; vintage elegant La Grola; Amarone, Palazzo della Torre and the excellent valpolicella.
There was no need for the Autostrada; and I didn’t damage the hire car this time; but I got to go to Italy for a few hours in the heart of my new home Shanghai.
This caravan of Italian premium wine emphasizes Summergate’s passionate and very deliberate commitment to high-end quality, unique, traditional and contemporary Italian wine for the ever-growing China market.
From the enthusiasm and understanding exhibited by the many who attended for these wines, it is pretty clear consumers here are knowledgeable and hungry for Italian wine, which spreads across a diverse style and price point.
This Passaporto Del Vino was clever, stylish, super cute and warm. Very Italian.
In China Contact Summergate on www.summergate.com (86) 21 6329 4433
In Shanghai, Pudao stock most of this range. Contact them at Tel: +86 021-63294433 ext 236, Office address: No.58 Yanan Dong Road, Huangpu District, Shop address: No.376 Wukang Road, Xuhui District, http://vip.enjoyshanghai.com/shopping/groceries/pu-dao-the-wine-way_8480.htm